The Cherokee Indians were the first settlers of the present site of West Pelzer, originally called Frankville.
There were settlers in the vicinity in the 1800s. The town of Frankville was chartered in 1913. The original survey for the town was made by John Franks. The street layout in the older part of the town is the same today as in the original street plat.
A new petition was later filed and on September 13, 1918, the name was changed from Frankville to West Pelzer.
West Pelzer is less than a quarter of a mile from Pelzer. However, the small town is incorporated and has its own city government. The two towns share the same post office zip code, 29669, and the same telephone prefix, 947.
At one time, the Southern Railroad tracks separated West Pelzer from Pelzer.
The West Pelzer Fire Department was founded in 1963 as a 100% volunteer, nonprofit organization.