- Check the latest sale papers for your local stores . . More »
The 2012-13 calendar for Greenville County Schools was recently approved. The 2012-13 school year begins for students on Wednesday, August 22, and ends on Thursday, June 6, 2013. State law requires that school districts begin school no earlier than the third Monday in August, and the calendar must include three makeup days, 180 days for students, and 190 days for teachers.
2012-13 holidays are: Labor Day, September 3; Election Day, November 6; Thanksgiving Break, November 21-23; Winter Break, December 20- January 1; Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, January 21; Presidents’ Day, February 18; and Spring Break, April 1-5. June 4-6 are half-days for students. Students will not attend school on Professional Development Workdays for teachers during the school year. Dates for 2012-13 are: October 18-19; January 18; and May 27.
Three school makeup days, in order of use, are: Makeup Day #1, April 29; Makeup Day #2, March 29; Makeup Day #3, June 7. These days become student attendance days if days are missed earlier in the school year. Makeup days, not used, become school holidays.
The superintendent determines the school calendar after receiving recommendations from a calendar committee comprised of parents, teachers, principals, and district staff. The committee develops a recommended calendar based on input from parent groups, school faculties, and other employee groups.
The 2011-12 Greenville County School year calendar for students will end on Friday, June 1, one day later than originally scheduled. The makeup day scheduled for June 1 will move to Friday, March 9 combining with a second makeup day on Monday, March 12 for a possible mini-break.
High school graduations will move one day later to Thursday, May 31 and Friday, June 1.
The calendar was adjusted to provide an additional work day after students are dismissed for teachers and other school staff to enter and store final grades, to prepare reports, and to print and distribute report cards. In a non-related matter, 4K classes will begin and end on the same dates as other grade levels.
First Day of School (4K – 12th Grade) – Wednesday, August 17, 2011
· Labor Day Holiday – Monday, September 5, 2011
· Professional Development/Work Days/No Students – Thursday, October 13 – Friday, October 14, 2011
· Thanksgiving Break – Wednesday, November 23 – Friday, November 25, 2011
· Winter Break – Monday, December 19 – Friday, December 30, 2011
· Professional Development/Work Day/No Students – Friday, January 13, 2012
· Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Holiday – Monday, January 16, 2012
· Presidents’ Day Holiday – Monday, February 20, 2012
· Makeup Day – Friday, March 9, 2012 (Revised Date)
· Makeup Day– Monday, March 12, 2012
· Spring Break – Monday, April 2 – Friday, April 6, 2012
· Makeup Day– Monday, April 9, 2012
· Memorial Day (Student and Staff Holiday) – Monday, May 28, 2012 (Changed from Professional Development/Workday for teachers)
· High School Graduations – Thursday, May 31 and Friday, June 1 (Revised Dates)
· Last Day of School for Students – Friday, June 1, 2012 (Revised Date)