Week ending Sept. 21
The Anderson County Public Works Department has been busy with projects across the county. Among projects underway or completed are the following:
Building & Codes
· Contract has been awarded for the first phase of Substandard Homes to be demolished. Out of the original 8 that were targeted for demolition, 2 have been demolished by the owners, 1 will be taken down by the Homeland Park Fire Department, and 5 are contracted out.
· PERMITS ISSUED: 6 New Single-Family Dwelling and 3 addition/renovation; 9 Electrical and HVAC Upgrades; 2 Detached Storage/Garage Buildings; 1 Commercial; 12 Mobile Home; including: New Homes and Change of Ownership
· DRAWINGS SUBMITTED: Alfmeir Foundation Repair, Belton Church of God Handicap Ramp, Hwy 187 Storage Expansion, Michelin Area D – Bldg. 226 Warehouse, Super 8 Hotel – Storage Building, Joint Chiropractor Up-Fit off Clemson Blvd., Various re-submittals.
· LAND USE PERMITS: Anderson Regional Joint Water System Booster Pump, on Vanguard Rd, Anderson; Mini Storage Facility, on Hwy 187S, Anderson.
SITE PLAN REVIEWS: Discount Wine & Spirits Retail Store on Civic Center Blvd. Anderson; New Commercial Retail store, on Old River Rd; a New Church Facility, White St, Ext. Anderson.
· Prepared legal notices for upcoming Land Use Board of Zoning Appeals Meeting scheduled for October 11, 2012. The following variances will be heard; a request for a reduction of front yard setbacks at 2905 Sunset Forest Road, Anderson, a request for a reduction of side yard setbacks at 318 Trussell View Road, Anderson, and a request to allow for additional sign area at McDonald’s Hwy 153.
Planning & Community Development
· GPATS Policy Committee adopted Long Range Transportation Plan with improvement to SC Rt. 153 in Powdersville as number 3 on the priority list. This should lead to engineering studies commencing in next 2 to 3 years.
· Met with developer of large-scale project behind Walgreens near SC 81 and SC 153 to hear update of their plans to develop this site and view their internal road connections to the public roads. This meeting was also attended by Development Standards Manager and County Engineer.
Roads & Bridges
· Completed the Joe Black Road (C-01-0174) box culvert project and re-opened the road to traffic on Thursday afternoon, 10 days ahead of schedule.
· Completed placing the stone base for the parking lot at Townville Fire Department.
· Completed the asphalt surface course and installed guardrail on Simmons Ford Road (C-20-0010) bridge project. The project will be complete after the shoulders are built up and the roadway is striped.
· Held a pre-construction meeting with TMI Services, Inc. for the 2012 Pavement Striping Contract. All striping work will be completed by November 2nd.
· Maplewood Subdivision Paving contract was approved by Council. Another cashed-bond subdivision, Springs Landing, will be submitted to Council as a change order to this contract once the proposal is received from the contractor.
· Shred Day is scheduled for October 20, 10am – 2pm at the Civic Center of Anderson and Upstate Federal Credit Union in Williamston.
· Staff will be placing four 40-yard containers out for the City of Belton this week to assist them with their Fall Cleanup for the weekend. We have assisted the City of Belton for the last several years. We appreciate their cleanup efforts.
· The Whitefield and Manse Jolly Road Convenience Centers were broken into this week. Individuals cut openings in the fences to get into the sites. Metal, electronics and materials from the Haven of Rest boxes were stolen.
· Right-of-Way crew cut 19,477 feet on the Motorola line. Started cutting the Beaver Dam Line.