Accidental drug overdose suspected in Pelzer death

0
706

According to authorities, confusing infomation was provided in the circumstances surrounding a suspected drug overdose resulting in the death of a former Williamston resident in Pelzer Saturday.

According to Anderson County Coroner Greg Shore, Logan Thomas McAlister, 28, of Cleveland, SC apparently died from an accidental drug overdose Saturday. Shore said information provided to authorities was confusing and the initial story given differed from neighbors account.

According to Shore, McAlister was visiting at his friends house in Pelzer Friday night and they had been burning stuff in the back yard. Shore said McAlister was found unresponsive around 8 a.m. Saturday morning in the back seat of his car, which was parked in the rear of the residence.

Shore said the friend originally thought McAlister was passed out and suffering from hypothermia, so they moved the car from the back of the house to the front, and carried him into the home and with the help of the friend’s mother, tried to warm him up. Shore said McAlister was still breathing at the time. When they realized a short time later he was not breathing, they called 911 and EMS responded and determined McAlister was dead.

Shore was called to the scene at 9:45 a.m.

An autopsy performed Sunday showed the time of death at 9:33 a.m. Shore said there were pill fragments in McAlister’s stomach and fluid buildup in his lungs. According to Shore, McAlister’s death appeared to be the result of an accidental drug overdose.

Shore said McAlister had reportedly had a history of Xanax abuse, and had recently been hospitalized for an accidental overdose.

Initial reports stated McAlister had visited the house on Friday night, then left and returned sometime overnight.