This information concerns actions and activities of the Public Works Department of Anderson County. The information has been edited to focus on actions in the Journal readership area.
Building and Codes
· Phase III of our Substandard Housing Demolition Plan has been submitted to Purchasing for Bids. This includes a total of 10 Substandard Structures.
· PERMITS SUBMITTED: 13 New Single-Family Dwelling and 3 Addition-Renovation; 4 Detached Garage/Storage Buildings; 10 Electrical and HVAC Upgrades; 2 Swimming Pools; 6 Demolition; 4 Commercial Including: JMS Electrical for Storage Building, Life-Safety for APG Colors & Additives, Addition to JMS Electrical, Market Square Sign; 9 Mobile Home including: New Homes, Change of Ownership, moves from other counties, change of location, etc.
· DRAWINGS SUBMITTED: Life-Safety for APG Colors & Additives in Belton, Haynie Drive Duplex, Palmetto Baptist Association Addition in Williamston, Piedmont Grill Remodel located off Hwy 81 North and various resubmittals
· SITE PLAN REVIEW:
o New building for the City of Belton Ducworth WWTP located on Highway 247 Belton. The purpose for the new building is to protect the pumps, blowers, electrical equipment, and their chemical tanks.
o Piedmont Natural Gas Refueling station located on Highway 20.
o HyTech Machine Industrial Expansion located on Welpine Ridge Road in Pendleton. A revision is required to site plan and a possible variance will be needed for rear yard setbacks.
o Walmart located on Highway 81 & Reed Road-review of landscaping plans and ingress and egress with concerned citizens.
· LAND USE PERMITS APPROVED:
o Home Occupation Permit for the sale of fire arms through internet sales/home office located at 125 Sherman Court, Piedmont.
o Scenic Road Commercial Development revision of ten (10) commercial lots located on Highway 81N near Hanna High School. The proposal will be submitted to the Planning Commission at their March 2015 Meeting.
o Hunt Meadows Subdivision located on Hunt Road off of Highway 8.
o River Reserve Phase IV- cash bond received for $47,500 for the Final Completion.
o Avendell Subdivision-Submitting Final Documents for Bond.
· SITE INSPECTION AND BUFFERYARD INSPECTION:
o Stanco Industrial Site located in Alliance Park-161 Alliance Blvd. Anderson
o Walmart located on Highway 81 & Reed Road, Anderson.
· COMPLIANCE ISSUES:
o Staff will team coordinate with Environmental Services Department to remove illegal signs from Hopewell, Breazeale, Cheddar, Midway, Crestview, Old Williamston, Highway 29, Highway 81, Amity Road, Slabtown, Big Creek, and Highway 20 for a Friday Clean Up Day.
· Council approved Resolution R2015-005, requesting the Planning Staff to begin work on a Hwy 81N Zoning Overlay District, by a vote of 7-0. Council also Resolution R2015-006, requesting that staff and Planning Commission begin working on a complete review of Land Use Regulations, by a vote of 7-0.
· No action was taken by Council on the Homeland Park route. The Council did approve 6-0 to move ahead with the Tri County Tech route and purchase a new bus on the condition that Tri County Technical College would commit to the funding of the Orange route.
· Researched grant funding options for Safe Routes to School.
Roads & Bridges
· Asphalt crew was able to purchase hot mix asphalt Tuesday and Thursday of this week. Campbell Road was the first site the crew finished Tuesday morning, then moved to Charles Beatty Road and finished that project. Wednesday they were geared up to pave Blake Dairy Road but both asphalt plants broke down before any asphalt was made. Sign crew opened up Campbell Road and Charles Beatty Road to traffic shortly after paving crew completed the asphalt work.
· Grading crew opened up a cross-over pipe on Ranchwood Drive, off SC 81 North. Homeowner had called Public Safety on Sunday when the pipe stopped up and water backed up to his foundation. Our crew discovered an archery target had washed into the pipe and stopped it up. The target belonged to the person that made the complaint.
· Investigated and cleaned up 140 illegally dumped tires at the Dolly Cooper Park this week. Individuals dump the tires in several places around the Park. We appreciate the Building and Grounds staff for reporting the illegal dumping to us.
· Met with the Belk Company and Joyce Engineering on 1/20/15 to discuss the Slabtown and Carswell Convenience Centers on site. The Belk Company began efforts to help in drying the construction areas of the Slabtown and Carswell Convenience Centers by plowing the areas to let the soil dry and then rolling it. The ground compaction is at 26 percent but needs to get to 18 percent before paving. Two concrete pads are being poured this week at the Slabtown site and wiring is being done at the Carwell site. We hope to open the sites in March if weather permits.
· A notice of violation was issued to Midway Road Subdivision due to a lack of maintenance of stormwater controls and insufficient records on-site.
· Received stormwater permit applications for NewSpring Church near the intersection of Hwy 81 and Hwy 153 in Powdersville
· The cease and desist notice issued to Hunt Meadows subdivision due to the installation of improper stormwater controls has been lifted.
· Reviewing areas on Hwy 153 for future sewer needs.
· Attended pre construction meeting for new subdivision in Powdersville on Three Bridges Road.
· Reviewed service area documents, allocations and future billing rates for County-Pendleton agreement.
· Attended a pre-construction meeting for the new Bojangles restaurant that will be constructed at Hwy 86 and I-85. This restaurant will tie onto existing sewer on Hurricane Creek road across from the Budweiser distribution center.