The Town of West Pelzer celebrated 100 years with a Centennial Celebration Saturday. The event, held at Chapman Park and the parking lot next to the Municipal Center, included two food trucks, inflatables for kids, music and a huge birthday cake celebrating the occasion. Residents and others including Mayor Blake Sanders, Councilman Jim Riddle, Clerk Paula Payton, Court Clerk Kelly Arthur and Anderson County Sheriff Chad McBride were at the event. The Cherokee Indians were the first settlers of the present site of West Pelzer, which was originally chartered Frankville in 1913. The original survey for the town was made by John Franks and the street layout in the older part of the town is the same today as it was in the original street plat. A new petition was later filed and on September 13, 1918, the name of the town was changed from Frankville to West Pelzer.
- Advertisement -
© © 2017 The Journal Online. All Rights Reserved.