The Cherokee Indians were the first settlers of the present site of West Pelzer, originally called Frankville.
There were settlers in the vicinity in the 1800s. The town of Frankville was chartered in 1913. The original survey for the town was made by John Franks. The street layout in the older part of the town is the same today as in the original street plat.
A new petition was later filed and on September 13, 1918, the name was changed from Frankville to West Pelzer.