Town of Pelzer SC
Population: Before Annexation Prior 2015 – 97
After Annexation –
Incorporated: Chartered March 17, 1952
Upper and Lower Mill Village Annexation – July 2015
103 Courtney St.
PO Box 427
Pelzer, SC 29669
City Government / Elected Officials:
Non- partison. Elected officials serve two-year terms with terms expiring on alternate years. Pelzer town council meets on the second Tuesday of each month at the Pelzer Community Building located at the Monkey Park behind Bi-Lo.
Roger Scott, Sr.
Phone: (864) 947-6231
Town Council 2018:
Town Administrator – The town no longer has this position (864) 947-6231
Municipal Clerk – Cheryl Boudreau (864) 947-6231
Town Attorney – Jimmy R. King
Police, Fire or Medical Emergencies – Call 911
SC Senator – Mike Gambrell
SC Representative – Joshua Putnam House Dist. 10; Anne Thayer House Dist. 9
Pelzer is located along the Saluda River in eastern Anderson County. Until 2015, the incorporated portion of the town was only a small part of the two mill villages, upper and lower, that make up what is commonly known as Pelzer. With a successful annexation effort the entire upper and lower mill villages were officially brought into the town in July 2015.
The town was founded in the 1800’s along with the Pelzer Manufacturing Co. A pioneer in the use of electricity, the company bought the first power generators made by the fledgling General Electric Co., to run its two mills, one of them the largest in the United States at the time. A consolidated hydro station with two dams still generates power on the Saluda River.
The two mills have been torn down and only a few buildings and debris mark the sites of the upper and lower mills around which the town was built.
At one time, the Southern Railroad tracks separated Pelzer from West Pelzer.
Pelzer was chartered as a town on March 17, 1952.
Pelzer residents thrilled with annexation
Pelzer approves second reading on annexation ordinance
Pelzer to hold second reading on annexation July 20
Pelzer Annexation Special meeting to approve
Pelzer Annexation Referendum 2015
Pelzer Annexation related
Old Pelzer Hospital Building (Lyceum)
This historic building was originally built by the mill in 1890 as a Lyceum. After the Pelzer EMS moved to their new building, the old hospital building was basically abandoned for many years and was headed towards demolition. Restore Pelzer, led by former Pelzer Councilman Will Ragland and a board of directors comprised entirely of citizens who live, work or have direct family ties to Pelzer, is working to restore the building.
Clubs & Organizations
Restore Pelzer is a non-profit organization formed in 2016 to restore and preserve historic structures and spaces in the Town of Pelzer for the benefit of its citizens. The organization is led by former Pelzer Councilman Will Ragland and a board of directors comprised entirely of citizens who live in Pelzer, work in Pelzer, or have direct family ties to Pelzer. The group has met with Preservation South, a local firm that specializes in restoring historic properties, and will be meeting with others for input in raising funds for their first project, restoring the old Pelzer hospital building.
Pelzer Heritage Commission – Formed in 2010
A group of local “Pelzerites” as they call themselves, originally formed the Pelzer Pride Committee in 2010 and began planning what they called “A big reunion.”
The committee became the Pelzer Heritage Commission in October 2010 and received approval of Pelzer Town Council, making their efforts official.
The commission is made up of local people, all of whom were either born in Pelzer and/or lived in Pelzer from a very young age, according to spokesperson Margaret Jamison, who serves on the committee along with eleven others.
One of their goals is to preserve the town and village, as well as to restore the pride in the town. Their first event was “Come Home to Pelzer – A Blast from the Past.”
The event was planned as a big reunion. Anyone who lived in Pelzer or attended Pelzer grade school or high school at any time was invited to attend.
The event was held on Saturday, November 13 with tours of the Pelzer Auditorium, the Pelzer School and Pelzer Presbyterian Church. Tours of the church were accompanied by music played on the one hundred year old church organ by Lee Gray.
Following the tours, a large group gathered at the Pelzer Gym for food, entertainment pictures, memorabilia and fellowship. The Pelzer Heritage Commission had commemorative Christmas ornaments, T-shirts and throws for sale.
Anyone interested in purchasing a Pelzer souvenir item or wanting additional information is asked to contact Dianne Lollis at 847-5743, Linda Lee Lozano at 947-2683 or Larry Coker at 243-9120.
The Pelzer Heritage Commission meets at the gym.
Founding members of the Pelzer Heritage Commission include: Pelzer Mayor Kenneth Davis; Dianne Lollis, President; Linda Lee Lozano, First Vice President, Secretary/Treasurer; Larry Coker, Second Vice President; John Kelly, Pat Kelly, Jimmy Harrision, Tina Mackey, Eunice Williams, Eckie Jordan, Margaret Jamison and Gilbert Garrett.
The Pelzer Heritage Commission has sponsored several events including a Pelzer Fall Festival in October of 2012 and 2013. They have published two books about the Pelzer area and in Dec. 2013, obtained ownership of the Pelzer Mills Properties which they plan to continue to clean up and hopefully develop in the future.
Formed in 2008
For More Information contact:
Community of Pelzer Historical Society
Pelzer, SC 29669