Offices closing, meetings cancelled


Update Tuesday – Anderson County government offices opened on a 2-hour delay Tuesday, September 12th.

Due to the potential of high winds and weather conditions from Hurricane Irma, Anderson County government offices and other local offices including the Town of Williamston, will be closing today (Monday) at 1 p.m.

The Williamston Town Council meeting originally scheduled for this evening has been  rescheduled for next Monday on the 18th.

The Town of West Pelzer Council meeting scheduled for Monday night has also been cancelled

The Town of Pelzer Council meeting scheduled for Tuesday, Sept. 12 at 7 p.m. will is presently still scheduled.


Anderson School District One officials along with the other four Anderson School Districts are monitoring current weather conditions. Current weather forecasts predict high winds and soaking rains to continue in the area through Monday evening and begin to diminish Tuesday  morning. The Anderson County School districts are assessing this situation carefully, particularly as it relates to power outages. The districts have a second conference call at 7:00 PM tonight (Monday) with emergency management and safety officials. “We will update as soon as possible as decisions have been made with regards to school delays/closings,” said Anderson District One Assistant Superintendent Jane Harrison.

Greenville County Schools officials are delaying a decision regarding possible school closures or delays on Tuesday until approximately 6 p.m. this evening.  A statement issued Monday afternoon said, “While we want to ensure the safety of students and employees and give families time to plan, we do not want to miss school and inconvenience families unnecessarily.  With revisions still being made to the forecast, we believe delaying this decision until late this afternoon will provide more valid information about the storm’s expected impact in our area. Given that the wind advisory for the area extends to 4 a.m. tomorrow, families should prepare for any possible scenario on Tuesday, including regular schedule, a delay, or closure.”