The Anderson County Office of the Coroner is investigating a fatal fire death that occurred around 02:27 a.m. May 21. The Anderson County Fire Department and Medshore EMS responded to 205 Briar Ridge East in Williamston, to a report of a residential fire. Upon arrival of the Fire Department the fire had been extinguished by family members. Fire fighters found a victim that had suffered cardiac arrest on the front porch of the residence.
Medshore Ambulance personnel and Anderson County Fire fighters attempted resuscitation of the victim. The resuscitative efforts were unsuccessful and the victim was pronounced at dead 02:56 a.m.
Don McCown, Deputy Coroner advised that the victim has been identified as Gordon Edward Keene, 76 years old. The victim was living with his daughter and her husband at the residence. The decedent died as a result smoke inhalation and the fire is believed to have started from inappropriate disposal of a cigarette. Damage to the victim’s bedroom was minor and was able to be extinguished with a portable fire extinguisher thanks to smoke alarms in the residence that awoke family members.
Deputy McCown advised the victim has an extensive medical history that may have also played a role in his death.
There appears to be no indication of foul play. The investigation is ongoing by the Office of the Coroner and the Anderson County Fire Department Arson Investigation Unit. An autopsy has been scheduled for Wednesday May 22.